Gary:

I own both a Koss SB40 and two Yamaha CM500'ds.

The Koss and the Yamaha are exactly identical, save for one
thing... The microphone capsule.

The Koss SB40 has a dynamic capsule while the Yamaha CM500
has a electret condenser capsule.  Other than that, the
headsets are exactly identical in every detail except for
the name.  Probably made in the same Chinese jobber.

But here is where the simialarity ends:  The Yamaha
electrect capsule is flat and can be made to sound really
great on the K3.  The Koss dynamic capsule is all bass, very
mushy, and has low output.  Even engaging the K3 equalizers
and tweaking a lot, I could not make my SB40 sound very good
at all.  The capsule just sounds ugly.

The fix for this is to remove the two screws that hold the
capsule on the SB40's boom and remove the offending
microphone that looks surprisingly like a cheap Chinese
dynamic earphone (its actually the same exact size as a IPod
headset element and looks identical!) and replace it.  In my
case, I had an old Heil BM-5 with a bad earpiece but a
perfectly good DX4 capsule.  I removed the plastic mic
holder from the rigid Heil boom, and with a slight widening
of the boom inlet with a Dremel tool, it fits right on to
the SB40 boom!  Solder up the existing wires from the Koss
mic and you have a wonderfully comfortable headset with a
very flexible boom that, in my case, works great on my
secondary Kenwood TS570 rig.

Of course, YMMV, but it works for me here!

Lu - W4LT
Using the "AL/K-Line":  K3/P3/ALS600/MFJ998
Al Kaline: 1960's Detroit Tigers Slugger

Message: 20