> In doing the above mods to the SB40 you end up with a VERY comfortable
 > headset with a great sounding mic element.  I just could not get the
 > stock SB40 element to sound good.  The HC5 rocks.

The alternative is to use one of the Radio Shack electret elements in
the SB-40 mic housing.  The electret elements are essentially the same
as the one in the CM-500 with performance similar to the new HC-6 -
broader than the HC 5.  With HC-5, HC-6 or an electret element one
will still want to use the K3 TS EQ to roll off audio below 200 Hz
and add 3 to 6 dB per octave of pre-emphasis above 800 Hz.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV