On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 10:34 AM, NZ0T <nz0t...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Elecraft would be a great case study for graduate level business
> students...

===========
As a sometime grad-school business prof, I often tend to think about case
studies of companies I do business with. But in the case of Elecraft, the
case study wouldn't have enough sturm und drang. It's a great story, and
continues to be a source of pride for Elecraft's customers, as well as for
those who have built this most excellent company. But what made Elecraft
succeed you can't teach or learn in business school: they simply designed
products that provide a superior user experience and a better value
proposition. Heck, any company can succeed if they can do that -- no
strategy required!

There is a lot to be learned from the ups and downs of companies battling
in niche markets like that for ham radio gear, but Elecraft has dodged the
bullets and avoided the mis-steps that make a case study compelling. The
kind of case that teaches the students a lot comes from the opposite end of
the management spectrum. To illustrate; here's a quote that I used in a
class presentation last year:

*β€œIt is hard for us, without being flippant, to even see a scenario within
any kind of realm of reason that would see us losing one dollar in any of
those transactions.”  **β€” Joseph J. Cassano, former head of the CDS group
at A.I.G., August 2007*

*
*

This summarizes in one sentence one of the most expensive management
blunders in all U.S. corporate history, and offers a rich banquet of
learning possibilities for the budding MBAs.

Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352