From: Don Wilhelm
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2012 8:42 PM
To: Greg Troxel
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] D-Star

I agree fully, despite the article in the May issue of QST which glosses
over the proprietary nature of D-Star.

I am opposed to the use of proprietary protocols in ham radio.  Ham
radio to me is free radio.  I have passed my license requirements, and
should be able to use whatever modulation techniques are authorized by
the FCC.  The thought of paying for a license (even though that payment
may be bundled with a transceiver purchase) is foreign to my views of
ham radio.

Certainly, I buy computers with Windows loaded, but I do not buy Icom
transceivers with D-Star loaded.  That is what is foreign to my view of
ham radio.

Until someone comes up with an open source and free to use substitute
for the AMBE Codec that is owned by Digital Voice Systems, Inc., I will
not be using D-Star.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 4/28/2012 9:17 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I would hope that Elecraft would not add D-Star support; I think it's
> against the spirit of amateur radio, and particularly contrary to the
> kit culture, to have an on-air specification that an individual amateur
> is precluded from implementing without obtaining a patent license.

-----
No virus found in this message.