Don -

I am not suggesting that you include D-Star in your products, and I am not
going to change your mind, but I tend to disagree with the concern about D-Star
over the proprietary nature of ABME...

Not to split hairs, but the "mode" of D-Star is Gaussian minimum shift keying,
a form of frequency shift keying. The D-Star implementation of GMSK is an
"open" standard, and has been implemented at the hobbyist level.

Which brings us to ABME, a proprietary "code-book" protocol (codec). I struggle
with the lack of a published, unfettered standard as many do, but...I wonder
how large of a practical impact this on me. I think about the other things that
I can't make myself but leverage in my station, such as DSP controllers
containing proprietary intellectual property and "microprocessor-based"
transceivers (e.g. K3) from which I can not, to the best of knowledge, obtain
and reuse the code.

I think that one of the things that distinguishes "open" from proprietary is
that I could, if I was so inclined, attempt to implement AMBE in software if
ABME was "open". I am not so inclined, no more than I am inclined to "hack" my
K3 or replace the DSP in one of my "other" radios with a custom FPGA. If the
test for ABME is the ability of an individual or organization to implement it
at-will and without royalty, then I would have to admit it fails...but...with
all of the proprietary IP and non-reproducible components in my "amateur"
systems, and knowing of the existence of a number of "modes" (protocols) that
are implemented by one seriously-flawed PC application (that I can't decode by
ear), I guess I just have a hard time seeing the big difference.

In the end, I think D-Star is fun and probably less of threat to the long-term
health of amateur radio than gentrification and apathy, but that's just my
opinion...

73,

Mike Alexander N8MSA

amsct...@comcast.net