> It's my understanding that the semiautomatic stations wait until
 > there is a connect request before transmitting,

Semi-automatic stations will still come up on top of other traffic
if they receive a connect request from a station that can't hear
the other traffic (e.g. in the skip zone or the "opposite direction").

 > unlike Winmor which won't transmit unless the frequency is clear.

I've heard Winmor and its cousins come up on occupied frequencies - or
so close to an occupied frequency it doesn't matter.  Unless/until all
of the automated protocols are required to monitor their maximum band-
width for *any* signal in *any* protocol, automatic and semi-automatic
stations should be banned.

Half of the original committee wanted to require listen before transmit
protocols for all stations - including semi-automatic stations - but
early PACTOR gurus knew that would cripple them and it never happened.
The semi-automatic stations are more of a problem that the automatic
stations ... one can avoid most of the full automatic bots by staying
out of the "automatic" subbands but the semi-bots can pop up anywhere.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV