Well, some of the irritation is brought about something you mention
casually: Your using Pactor to email family and friends. Unless your
family and friends are all amateurs, communicating with them was at one
time not allowed. Amateurs were not allowed to communicate with
non-amateurs, no matter the mode, excepting for autopatches and phone
patches. None of these operations was automatic, and a licensed amateur
was always in control of the transmission. This is not the case with the
Pactor autobots.

Secondly, and this just my opinion, there is a maritime radio service,
so why don't you sailors use that to email your family and friends and
transmit logs and get weather information? Since vessels have a
dedicated radio service to do everything needed, why pollute the amateur
bands with maritime communications? There is absolutely no need to use
the amateur bands for this, especially the autoforwarding stuff. No way
to justify this, except that sailors have a lot of money and influence
in both Newington and D.C.

73,
Scott, N9AA