This sounds like the dreaded "12v error" although you don't mention seeing
that specific message on the display.

This happened to several I've heard about, including mine (S/N 1153) and,
in my case, was the "corroded pin" problem. Elecraft sent me a kit (free of
charge) but it not only involved partial disassembly of the rig (the easy
part) it involved some soldering and, since we're talking pins here, we're
talking close quarters - at least close for someone like me.

I opted for sending the rig back to Elecraft. In the long run, I was glad I
did as a couple of other problems were discovered and rectified.
Additionally, a couple of upgrades/updates that had not been done were also
performed. It wasn't that bad overall. Despite all the hullabaloo over the
KX3, my K3 was only out of pocket for a couple of weeks.

Art - N4PJ