On Aug 8, 2005, at 9:29 AM, Bob Cunnings wrote:

So far I've not bothered with a balun when running my KX1 into a
dipole fed with balanced line (using the internal tuner to match) and
seem to have pretty good results, better than the random wire and
counterpoise so far (portable operation over poor ground). My thinking
was that since the whole system is floating with respect to ground
(I'm usually sitting on a slab of rock), it wouldn't really matter.

Bob,

Operating in this "floating" mode without a balun may be satisfactory in many cases. But a balun should be helpful with antennas that present a high impedance to the tuner, for two reasons: (1) it steps the impedance down by a factor of 4, which may help if the tuner's range is limited; (2) it reduces the RF voltage appearing on the chassis. The latter is more of an issue at higher power and in SSB mode, where it might prevent "hot mic" syndrome.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---