A couple of observations based on antenna principles and my personal
experience:

1) A dipole is a dipole no matter where it's fed. A 1/2 wave dipole
(Hertzian antenna) is more efficient than anything shorter (no matter how
often the manufacturer puts "magic" in the ad copy :-) although, with great
effort shorter antennas can come close. Jerry Sevick, W2FMI (SK)
demonstrated how to build short, efficient grounded (Marconi) antennas for
Hams. But they require extensive, well designed ground; not something
generally practical for portable use and not even practical in many fixed
station locations.

2) Antennas longer than 1/2 wave are also very efficient. Even at multiples
of 1/4 wave, the impedance is never as low as it is for a 1/4 wavelength
radiator. A simple "counterpoise" wire will usually provide good efficiency
even at the odd 1/4 wavelength multiples where the feed point impedance is
at a minimum.

3) The matching device earchi uses is a simple auto-transformer. The voltage
at the top (antenna end) of the coil will be very high, requiring good
spacing and excellent insulation. (Many will recognize the design as being
similar to a Tesla Coil. It IS a Tesla coil!) A personal experience was when
I ran a 1/2 wave long wire with a matching network at the rig that had a
nylon banana jack for the antenna wire connection. It was housed in a metal
box. At about 10 watts output on 40 meters, the nylon melted! But just
because nothing smokes or melts at QRP power levels does not mean the system
is efficient. That only means that the heat produced by the loss doesn't
raise the temperature high enough to destroy the materials. You can still be
throwing away much or most of your RF as heat in a poor connection or bad
insulator. My rule is to be as careful with proper insulation and low
resistance connections at 1 watt as I would be at a kilowatt.

73, Ron AC7AC