I agree.  I have used my K3 at Field Day the last 2 years.  It was used
as the CW or data mode station.  If you do not allow it to be open and
"pawed" by all the folks passing by, it will be OK.  The operators who
are using the K3 can be informed quickly about the necessary controls -
VFO A, shift/width, any memories that have been pre-programmed (M1-M4
buttons).  For those using their K3s for SSB, there is a lock menu
function that can lock the mic gain, compression and VOX settings.  Yes,
if any menu changes are required, those should be made by someone who
knows what they are doing - preferably the K3 owner.

73,
Don W3FPR