On 5/19/2012 4:53 PM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
 > Just read the reviews of antenna tuners in QST, with
> careful attention to the amount of power absorbed in the tuner at
> some load impedance/reactance combinations, and imagine 600 watts
> being dissipated inside a 500-watt tuner.

Understand that most of the tuners evaluates in QST were "T" section
tuners.  The high pass "T" network can become pathological with some
values - particularly if the series capacitors have excessive Xc
(are too small).  The KAT-500 is an L-network tuner which generally
has much lower currents, thus less loss and less heating.

In spite of its modest height, the KAT-500 has some truly massive
inductors for a tuner rates at 600 Watts.  I'm not concerned that the
claim of 3:1 or somewhat higher for 1000 Watts is excessive and will
be seriously considering the KAT-500 as a "line flattener" if/when I
put the Quadras back on-line.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV