So if the new Flex doesn't require a top of the line PC to operate and already
has much of the processing power inside, then I would say it's no longer a
software defined transceiver in the traditional sense as we've known it (as the
3000/5000), and perhaps should be called a software assisted radio.  Did I just
coin a new phrase?

I disagree about SDRs being a danger as a business plan in general.  I hope
Elecraft comes out with some sort of an SDR transceiver in the near future, and
if they do, it should have an open software architecture that could run on any
operating system.  I believe Flex promised that at some time, but never
delivered.  This would allow older SDRs to live on, and could entice hardware
builders to produce inexpensive transceivers without software or with minimal
software.  Software authors could then design a logbook for example that
actually controls the radio, not just connects to it.  The hardware should have
a built in web server and wifi with at least ad-hoc networking for connection
to the outside world.  The smart future Elecraft could design a contraption
that would allow plug ins of additional hardware such as transmitters for
VHF/UHF, or a big HF contest station could plug in additional transmitters as
needed, but with just one main contraption.  The receiver(s) in said
  contraption would receive all bands of course; you just pick where you want
to transmit; and where you want to transmit from in the world.

An issue that has already become a problem with older electronic equipment, is
when you design hardware to use a certain CPU and/or proprietary chips.  The
manufacturers of these components typically 'end of life' them in just a few
years, which becomes a problem in near future manufacturing and parts stocking
for repairs.

An example is the Kenwood TS-2000 which has been sold for well over a decade.
The finals are no longer available, so Kenwood had to design a new finals board
sometime ago with new transistors.  While the board can be used in older
TS-2000s, the price is about half (with installation), of what the radio is
worth.

Barring a massive failure of the chips inside, I hope my K3s are still
functional in 50 years, and myself as well!

73 de Sebastian, W4AS