If you want an extended example of the PC implementation of SDR, take a
look at LP-PAN.  That is an "SDR converter" (for receive only) to take
the IF of a receiver and convert it to I/Q signals which can be further
processed in a panadapter display on a personal computer.

One of the things Larry Phipps emphasizes is that once you get
everything working, do NOT allow Windows to update.  While supposedly,
Windows updates are good for security  situations, it is known that such
updates will "upset the applecart" with the SDR handling software.

I bring this example in to point out the dependency that SDR systems
that use a personal computer have on the operating system which can
change from day to day.  The embedded processor does not have that
exposure, and IMHO is much better because it is more stable.

The downloadable firmware for the K3 and KX3 definitely put those radios
into the SDR arena.  I certainly hope Elecraft does not begin to charge
$200 a year for firmware (and technical) support.
Yes, charging for upgrades within the software community is not unknown,
and I do not begrudge Carl N4PY for doing that - he has an excellent
product, but $200 a year seem a bit "steep" - Carl charges $35 per year
- a big difference.

73,
Don W3FPR