On 6/18/2012 4:42 AM, David Robertson wrote:  ( ... a long message I
won't include here where he improved amplifier cooling by tightening
heatsink/right panel screws and used heatsink compound.)

I operate my KPA500 with the fan speed set to #1 continuously which
delays the increase in the increase in fan speed once the amplifier
starts putting out power.  My amplifier did not exceed 58 deg C after 10
minutes at 500 watts carrier output into a dummy load and it stabilized
at about 60 degrees in a 25 degree C room.  My right panel to heatsink
screws (the ones under the handle) were all tight and that explains why
my experience was better than was Dave's originally before he tightened
his heatsink screws and added heatsink compound.  I then added heatsink
compound to the mating surface between my heatsink and the right side
panel.  There was no difference in cooling performance at all.  I just
wanted to know .. and now I do .. and so do you.

The KPA500 fan is as quiet as any muffin fan ought to be but it was
still annoying to me.  That is not an amplifier fault .. it is just that
I have good hearing and I prefer a *very quiet shack.  For those who may
be like me in that regard here is how I reduced the normal fan noise of
my amplifier.  In my amplifier much of the fan noise was actually coming
from the sheet metal of the amplifier structure which was being excited
by the vibration of the fan which is rigidly attached to the amplifier
structure so that fan vibration was communicated to the structure which
then resonated and amplified the fan noise.  When I removed the fan and
held it loosely in my hand while it was running I could feel the light
high frequency 'buzz' produced by the rotating magnetic field of the fan
and also, crucially, the lower frequency throb caused by a slight weight
imbalance in the rotor. I used a small piece of sticky pad (normally
used to mount components to a chassis, etc) and placed this very small
weight at various points on the rotor blades until, by trial and error,
found the 'sweet' spot which resulted in greatly reduced throb.  That
reduced fan noise considerably.

Then, to reduce transmission of fan vibration to the amplifier structure
even further, I mounted the fan loosely to the back of the amplifier
using soft quarter-inch cushions between the fan and the amplifier.  I
used light wire to do the actual attachment instead of the long screws
that are standard.  The overall effect is considerably less fan noise
and I am very happy about that.  The fan mounting is fragile and not to
be recommended if the amplifier is to be moved very much but in my
installation it is just fine.  By the way, I carefully compared cooling
performance before and after the fan mounting modification and found no
difference at all.  I also noticed during my testing that the direction
of airflow makes no difference.

Don K7FJ