On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV <olin...@bellsouth.net>wrote:

> ...I have tried to get after-market fans that were advertised as "quiet",
> but no luck...

=======
Agreed. I recently built a tower computer and put in a neat-looking 18 cm.
fan in the top of the case. Because it is so huge and runs at low RPM, it
is a little quieter than my previous computer, and it does have the
advantage of emitting an eerie red glow from its LED-illuminated clear
plastic blades. However, it is just another failed experiment in my attempt
to find a quiet fan.

I read somewhere that Apple has a neat fan design in its newest machines.
It is balanced but the blades are various different sizes, which apparently
creates a spectrum of audio resonances instead of a single hum. However,
I've never heard one in real life so I can't attest that it works.

Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352