The fan rarely ever kicks in for me.  My QSO's are pretty short.  DX,
contests.  The only time I have really seen the fans go on is with
RTTY.  To it sounds like the OP has or had a problem with the initial
build.  If the screws were loose that secured the heat sink panel I
could see that being problematic.

When in J6 we upped the fan speed on the outset to about 3 because it
was always 80 degrees plus and very humid so I wanted to keep the air
moving.  We ran the CQ WW CW and never had one issue with heat or
anything for that matter.

Mike W0MU

W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net:23 or w0mu-1.dnsdynamic.com
Http://www.w0mu.com