Hmmm ... Tight screws yes.  Beyond that, I'd be somewhat wary of
re-engineering the thermodynamics of the KPA500 ... OK, very wary.  I
have a KX1, K2, K3, P3, and KPA500.  They all have one thing in common:
  Elecraft equipment is very carefully and meticulously  engineered --
electrically, mechanically, and thermodynamically.  My 500 on RTTY at
500W stabilizes at about 69 C.  The fan seems to come on high [the only
speed I can hear with the cans on] at 70 C, and it does occasionally but
the temp drops immediately and it cycles down.  I'd check with Elecraft
Engineering before changing anything.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org