From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Dennis L. Haarsager
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2012 11:19 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] K3 12VDC OUT current modification

I just received the P3SVGA option for my P3 and see that it either needs a
separate 12VDC source with >= 700 mA current or installation of an included
current modification that raises the K3's 12VDC OUT capacity to 1 A.
Frankly, component level work on the K3 scares me, since neither my eyes nor
hands are as good as they once were and the last kit I built was an
HW-100 44 years ago.  I do have an ESD-safe soldering station and can easily
acquire some de-soldering tools, but can anyone who's done this can give me
some level of comfort that it's possible?  If it's risky, I'll dust off an
old 12V supply.

By the way, the $400 I spent on the HW-100 Heathkit by the CPI is the
equivalent of $2,590 in 2011 <http://www.measuringworth.com/uscompare/>, a
bit more than the cost of an assembled K3/100 today!

Dennis, N7DH
Hillsboro, VA