From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Wayne Burdick
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2012 5:42 PM
To: Adrian
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Happy But Very Sad

Adrian wrote:

> K3 a superior transmitter in imd product results?....

Adrian,

The K3 is a 12-volt-powered transceiver. When running at 100 W and from a
typical DC supply, its transmit 3rd-order IMD is very similar to that of
other 12-V radios, as confirmed by multiple test labs.

A transceiver with a class-A final or running from much higher supply
voltages (15 V is OK, as you mentioned) will have better IMD. But radios
with built-in supplies are not suited for portability -- a major design goal
of the K3, which is used by more DXpeditions than any other rig.

Also, I suspect most "splatter" comments derive from improper adjustment of
the K3 when used with an external amplifier.

Some amplifier manufacturers still insist on instructing users to crank up
their radio's power output to maximum when driving the amp, forcing the use
of wideband ALC at the radio, and that can indeed result in splatter. But if
you adjust the K3's power output as described in the owner's manual (with no
more drive than required for full amp power), and do not depend on
aggressive ALC action, its signal will be very clean. This allows all of the
K3's fast ALC to be achieved *ahead* of the crystal filter, avoiding the
wideband ALC splatter characteristic of transceivers designed for
"crank-it-all-the- way-up" mode.

Also note that the K3 typically runs at 20-50 W when driving the
KPA500 or other amp with similar gain, resulting in excellent third- order
IMD.

If anyone had a K3 exhibiting IMD worse than specified, we would certainly
repair it at no charge.

73,
Wayne
N6KR