Lee I had exactly the same problem at FD this year. Before I illuminate the
problem a little background. We were running 2A with additional GOTA and VHF
stations. Last year the very noisy old 6KW generator puked a piston so it
was time to retire it. We wanted a new generator that could be carried by
one and quiet. We chose a Honda EU2000 thinking if we needed more capacity
we could parallel it with a second generator.

We set up each station with a 100ah battery with charger. The  batteries
would act as filters since the automotive chargers were totally without
filtering or regulation. The batteries would act as power demand leveling as
well since demand was expected to exceed 2KW with everyone key down.

I was behind my K3 changing the unused antenna when my operating partner
indicated the K3 had turned off. Thinking it was something I had done I
circled around and turned the K3 back on. My partner resumed the contact but
the K3 soon died again. A spin of K3 metering VFO2 dial showed <11VDC. I
checked with our CW station who was still pounding brass. He indicated his
Laptop had died so he was now paper logging. Finally we realized the
generator had stopped. When refueling the generator it was cool indicating
it had been off for some time. We had operated totally on batteries until
the batteries started to fail, one by one.

Conclusion: A little acoustical noise from the generator is a good thing.

73, Fred, AE6QL