Hi Ed,

The KX3's spec also says, "Note: Sensitivity decreases gradually below
1.5 MHz due to protective high-pass filtering...." We did this to
ensure that the PIN diodes in the T/R switch are protected. A fairly
large amount of attenuation is required by the time you get down to
500 kHz or lower.

We did do some transmit tests in the 470 kHz range. We can easily get
+10 or possibly +20 dBm output at these frequencies, but you'd need an
external filter/amplifier to obtain useful transmit power output.
Given that, I would think that an external receiving converter that
shifted the 0-1 MHz range up to 7-8 MHz on the KX3 would also be a
good solution. The KX3 has transverter bands that can be set up for
this application, allowing the VFO to read correctly when on this
band. The ACC2 GPIO pin could be used to turn the external converter
on/off.

The K3 has the same high-pass filtering in the main antenna path as
the KX3. But the K3 also provides a way to bypass the filter, by using
the KXV3's RX ANT input (or the XVTR input).

73,
Wayne
N6KR