There are plenty of LF converters to homebrew from, most very
simple including those using an SA602/612.  Another is the AMRAD
LF converter, QST April 2002.  PCBs can be purchased from FAR
circuits.  I use three of those for dual RX and TX with a 14MHz
local oscillator and a K3 in transverter mode, displaying the
actual LF freq (Project: http://no3m.net/index.php?page=600m ).

There are guys in the experimental group running antennas far
smaller than most would consider. However, while a short,
minimally top-loaded (relatively speaking), heavily base loaded
antenna will be grossly inefficient, all it takes is more power
to reach the ERP level, which will be low anyways.

73 - Eric NO3M