Steve,

I strongly suggest you do it like the manual indicates - tune in WWV and
not a frequency on 40 meters.  Once you have accomplished that, if the
frequency is not correct on 40 (or 30 or any other band) it is time to
contact support for assistance.

You really don't know how accurate your FT857 is either, and I suspect
your service monitor does not have a current calibration tag, so relying
on them for precision is not the way to go.
The carrier of WWV is accurate, but be certain you are tuned to the
carrier and not to one of the transmitted tones.

73,
Don W3FPR