Elecraft really got its start in the QRP circles, so I can understand
how other OTs
who are not interested in low-power operations may never have heard of them.

I first met Wayne and Eric at Pacificon, circa 1999, when they were
showing off
a prototype of the K2 at a presentation there.  Since then, they would
be hard
to miss at a convention at their booth.

As an aside, Prof. Rutledge was one of the speakers at the Antenna Forum at
Pacificon.  I attended his presentation and invited him to our
convention in
2001.  He teaches at nearly Caltech in Pasadena, and requires his
students to
build a 40A as a class project.  The book that you mentioned is the textbook
for this class.

Even today, with producing a 500w amplifier, Elecraft still offers the
base model
of all of its transceivers targeted at the QRP gang; even the K3.

72/73 de Jim - AD6CW