Jim,

I'm not quite understanding why VMWare would be useless in this instance.

If you are using a serial USB device, you get to choose whether to present that
device to the host OS (the mac) or to the guest OS (the instance of windows in
the VM).  Simply load up your drivers in the instance of windows running in
your VM, choose to present this device to the guest OS (the VM) and it should
work FB.  I used to do this all the time and it has always worked perfectly.

Now that said, I've never used the K144XV application so I don't know about
that, but I do know about VMware and when the drivers are loaded and the USB
serial port is presented to the VM, it's a serial port like any other.

73 & Aloha,
Dave, AH6TD