OK.  Here I go.  Am I unhappy with my KX3?  You betcha!!  Totally
disgusted!

To begin with, it has ruined QRP ham radio.  QRP used to be a very small
and exclusive niche.  Elecraft - especially with the KX3 - has brought
QRP into the mainstream. Now QRP ops can do everything the nominal "100
watt op" can do and their numbers are increasing!   It used to be a very
skillful challenge to break a pileup on rare DX with 5 watts. Cruising
up and down the band to locate the station being worked on split in
order to improve the chances of my peanut whistle signal being heard
against the "100 watt norm" community was an expert skill.  Well, the
dual watch function of the KX3 makes it a no brainer now!  And how about
that automatic zerobeat button?  There's another skill gone down the
drain!  Now let's talk about filtering capability. In the old days, the
best filter was between the operator's ears.  The KX3 has roofing
filters that narrow down all the crap presented to the first stage and
the subsequent DSP processing can make just about any signal workable.
Hey, it's all electronics -- where's the operator skill????  Now let's
turn to the transmitter.  It has no personality at all.  It's perfect.
How the heck can all my usual QSO buddies identify me without some
chirp, a little click, or some drift?  Why heck, just last night I
worked a K3 (#2867) in New Zealand from New York - ZL2AGY.  You see,
that's the whole problem in a nutshell.  Five watts in New York with 44
feet of wire in the attic *should not* be able to enjoy a ragchew with
New Zealand.  It just ain't right!

My KX3 is for sale - factory built and aligned.  Fully optioned.  Asking
$4800.  (I'll use the proceeds to buy three more - one dedicated to the
car; one for portable/trail; the third one for the shack.  I'm good in
"qr zed dot com".   Send the check there.

73, Stan WB2LQF

  I own a $1400 paperweight that may someday be