Lee,
I'm with Keith's immediate solution. Waiting a year or two to get on the
HF is a long time. There are plenty of seasoned hams with HF gear
collecting dust that'll get you on the HF bands. In my area it is not
uncommon to get a loaner HF rig or one at a very reasonable price.
You'll be On The Air.
One of the local fellows I've been Elmering borrowed an IC-745 that was
collecting dust. He did buy it a month or so later at a very reasonable
price. It has been a year since he's had the IC-745 and he's come a long
way from August 2011. He's become quite proficient on CW, worked WAS,
has 54 DXCC entities under his belt & more! Soooooooo, why wait! Get a
loaner, put up a G5RV wire antenna, drive in a ground rod, connect it up
to your radio and get on the air. You can find information on a G5RV all
over the "net".
If you must have 2 meter mobile, find yourself a used piece of gear for
$100. You should be able to find a FT-1802M for that. It's reliable and
easy to use. Four years ago I bought one new for $139.00. There are also
other pieces of 2M mobile gear out there that won't break your bank.
When the time comes and you're ready to spend bigger dollars, buy the K3
or K2; both are excellent pieces of gear. They were both characterized
beautifully in the email that was sent to you by Fred Jensen, K6DGW.
73,
Dick, K2ZR
K2 #6557 now a K2/100 w/KAT100-1 (Thanks Vic)
ICOM IC-765            ( Oldie but Goodie HF Rig )
Yaesu  FT-900AT       ( Use it for HF mobile often )
ARRL "OO"
ARRL WNY ASM
FOC
CWops