I agree with Keith's comments, but I'll contribute my two cents' as well.

My background, such as it is -- I got my ticket about 20 months ago,
spent 4 months just on 2 meters, and got my K3 a year after I got on
HF.

That experience leads me to point out four things:

1.  Used rigs are widely available, and rigs can be resold.   While it
might slow down the process, you can get a starter rig, and then
resell it later to help finance the purchase of a K3.

2.  Several months on a starter rig taught me that the things I
actually enjoyed and spent time pursuing on the air were different
than what I might have expected before getting on HF. Also learning to
use & working through the quirks of my starter rig I learned a few
things...and that in turn is what lead me to seek out a K3, and to
make more informed decisions on how I might want it equipped.

3.  As an alternative to getting a starter rig, you might look around
to see if there is a club station available in your area to operate.
You get experience and fun while you save up to set up your own
station.

4.  I do not want to discourage you from considering an Elecraft, but
if money is tight, remember that antennas are the most important part
of your station.  I love my K3, but I would have had no
second-thoughts about postponing my transceiver upgrade if there were
any way I could have put up a beam in a spouse-tolerated manner.
There's nothing wrong with cheap wire antennas; but if you have space
and approval from the spouse and your town, invest in good antennas
before worrying about picking the perfect rig.

--
Michael D. Adams (AB1OD)
Poquonock, Connecticut | m...@ab1od.org