To add to the list, my older HP Pavilion DV7 with Vista Home Premium
has a line in.  It is labelled as "external mic" but is really a stereo
line in with switchable preamp.  The sound device is by IDT and the
drivers support 24 bits at 192KHz!

Unfortunately, like so many other motherboard sound devices, the noise
level is so high that external USB sound devices provide significantly
better performance with demodulated audio.  I have not even attempted
to try the built-in sound with direct I/Q audio due to the noise level.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV