On 8/29/2012 11:09 AM, David Cutter wrote:

> My only experience with the FCC exam is at my club here in the UK: we are
> one of the few places in the world outside the USA that offers exams on
> demand.  We had a candidate in from the UAE last week: he made the trip,
> added a little site-seeing then flew back.  That's dedication.

As a now-retired long-term FCC field manager I have personal
reservations about a non-US citizen who is a non-US resident going to a
non-US location to get a US ham license.  I know that it's done
(particularly by JAs) but something just doesn't sound right to me.

Then again, what do I know?  They didn't listen to me much when I was on
board and found such anomalies either......

I have a long-expired license from what was  then a DX country where I
was a multi-year resident on a job assignment with their Ministry if
Communications, their equivalent of the FCC. On my last visit some years
ago the Ministry told me that they will not reactivate it unless I
immigrate, even if I come for visits.  But then again, they have never
reissued the call sign either....

-- 73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402

>From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest