Us old f*rts have got to quit thinking analog.

K3 CW is not keyed. It's effectively data-graphed and fed directly
into a digital-analog converter (DAC).  Remember, ZERO SIGNAL OUT in
TX state is A STREAM OF DATA VALUES sent to a DAC that is RUNNING, not
a stage that is switched off. The "keying circuit" is a subroutine.
Paddle dash dot and Key In are read as a binary state on three lines
to a CPU that go low when input is grounded. Shows up as a value in a
register.

There may be a bit more (or less depending on your point of view) to
the "lack of choice" than it seems.  When I look in the schematic for
TX RX switching, all I see is unshaped on/off diode circuits all over
the place that are switching from a common line or two, transiting the
K3 circuits from TX state to RX state. You cannot follow the key line
to an analog circuit that is turning an oscillator on and off, or
breaking the feed of a steady oscillator to a following stage.  So
there is no capacitor to discharge for shaping the CW waveform, no
resistor to adjust.  This is not at all like my FT1000MP, where very
loosely controlled cap values made some MP's clicks far worse than
others.

The K3 lets the RX to TX state change complete before it feeds the DAC
any data that implies signal power output.

Turning on the CW baud consists of some subroutine feeding some other
subroutine numbers that are sent to the DAC, AFTER the K3 has gone RX
state to TX state. Reverse for RX to TX. On the straight key side of
15 kHz TX IF, it's nuthin but arithmetic. The shape of the CW baud
rise and fall transitions is a pile of numbers. It is oh so possible
to monkey with the numbers to get a clear baud transition that has no
artifacts in the adjacent channel once transmitted. And a baud
transition, by the way, that is impossible with any analog component
switch.  Having a "choice" of keying waveshapes means that there has
to be alternate piles of numbers or subroutines, and the extra running
code to switch them.  Why bother.  They made it the cleanest CW signal
on the band and went to work on something else.

73, Guy.