> What has been pointed out here and what Lyle said yesterday (see
> below) and what others have pointed out in their own ways has
> demystified a subject that, once couched in simple words, is not so
> hard to understand.

Put another way, so many of the offending transceivers run the transmit
IF "wide open" to insure sufficient drive to the final amplifiers and
rely on ALC feedback to reduce the gain as necessary.  This assures
that the phase noise from multiple synthesizers and low level noise in
the amplifiers themselves will *all* appear in the output as much as
20 dB higher than a rig like the K3 where the IF gain is properly
controlled.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV