I've fixed two Astrons for friends. One had a burned-out IC and the
other had a damaged board where the capacitor mounting screws had
loosened and generated heat. Both failed without producing overvoltage.

I have one that I've been using for perhaps 15 years with no problems.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA