Stephen,

Unless your K2/100 is unusual in some way or another, you do not need a
separate power cable to the base K2.

One reason to connect the base K2 power to a battery and the KPA100
power to an AC powered supply is in the case that AC mains power is
interrupted, you can continue a QSO at low power, only the KPA100 power
drops off and you still have the QRP signal.

As you have it wired right now, you should have a fuse in the wire to
the base K2.  That fuse protects the wire from vaporizing in case of a
fault (fuse located near the battery).  A battery can produce a LOT of
current.

73,
Don W3FPR