Dan,

Here's another idea. Use a short length of coax like 1' or less of RG-58 or better RG-174, and put some ferrite beads around the coax to make a 1:1 balun. On the antenna side it is balanced, so solder this to the ladder line. I hope you are at least using the small 300 ohm ladder line for 5 watts. If the feedline is small enough; #22 or smaller twisted pair, you can use the beads right over the feedline as a 1:1 balun. I have made up some feedline using #28 teflon insulated solid wire wrap wire held together with heat shrink tubing. The characteristic impedance is not important and it is low loss. I measured some #26 twisted pair once and it's impedance is about 180 ohms.

In this application, a 1:1 balun works as well as a 4:1 balun. A 1:1 balun can be made up using a pair of #28 magnetic wire and a F-50-43 1/2" ferrite tordal core. Wind 10 turn of the wire pair on the core and secure both ends with wire wrap ties. Alternatively, you can use RG-174 instead of the wire. It usually takes a somewhat larger core, like a F-82-43 .825" core in order to get enough turns to work well on 40; or use a F-50B-43 core and fewer turns. I have made lots of these small 1:1 baluns and my favorite is one using a F-82-43 core and as many turns of RG174 as you can get on it.

On my KX1, I use a 8' length of RG-58 soldered directly to one side of a 42' antenna and a 8' counterpoise soldered to the coax shield for a portable antenna. The other end has a BNC plug for the KX1. Works well for a portable. Doesn't beat an inverted V at 30' though, so you are on the right track.