I sometimes carry a balun, either the BL1 or the K5OOR binocular core one, and the test I use is simple enough: if I find signals get better when I put my hand on the KX1 I use it, but only when I use twinlead, not with the wires directly connected. If you have to bring the feedline with you then weight of the balun isn't much, but if you don't have a feedline, then you don't need it.

Right now I am out with my KX1 and listening to QSOs on 40m, just the wire in a tree and one or two on the ground.
Leigh / WA5ZNU