Don - Appears problem solved.  Pin 4 of the encoder measured "open" to ground.
I messed around for an hour trying to figure out why.  I finally found the wire
from the circuit board to the encoder termal #4 broken.  I used trimmed
component leads to make the four connections as called out in the book.
Apparently the one on #4 had a nick in it; flexing of the wire during assembly
of the front panel caused it to break.  The break was well hidden.  I replaced
the wire and encoder functions properly.  Ready to move on! Thanks for your
help, 73, Cecil