A lead-acid battery is still the champ for the best cost/performance ratio
to run a K3 in transmit as well as receive. But it's not terribly portable.

Acid spills are unacceptable, of course, and you can avoid them in two ways:
One is to put the battery in a container so if a spill occurred nothing
would get loose. You can get such containers through any marine supply. They
are used on small boats and other vehicles where a spill is unacceptable.

The second is to us a "sealed" battery that does not require refilling with
electrolyte. Electrolyte is, IMHO, worse than an angry cat. Working on ships
where I had to check the specific gravity of the electrolyte in old
lead-acid batteries regularly, I always worked extremely slowly and
carefully to open the battery and suck up some electrolyte to measure its
specific gravity. But, no matter how carefully I worked, I *always* found at
least one small acid hole in my clothing a few hours later.

There is another issue: ventilation. While a container is good, a *sealed*
container is bad. Lead-acid batteries can release a small amount of
hydrogen. Hydrogen is the most common element in the universe and completely
harmless in small quantities. But you don't want it to collect in an
enclosed container (think "Hindenburg". Hi!)

73, Ron AC7AC