For what it may be worth, I have indeed found CW Skimmer to be useful even when only used in audio mode (K3 Line Out fed directly to the input of the sound card). It won't give you much of a spectrum display since it will be limited to however wide your K3 passband filter is, but it will do other potentially useful things.

a. It will decode callsigns and text of whatever falls within your listening passband. You ear/brain may only lock onto one caller but CW Skimmer will often catch more than that. Work one station and then immediately call the next, assuming you are operating assisted.

b. The resolution of the waterfall display in CW Skimmer is superlative, and it scrolls from right to left (meaning we can read it normally from left to right). I have sometimes used CW Skimmer (audio only) in Blind Mode (meaning it does not display callsigns or text) purely for the visual representation of the Morse Code I'm receiving. With a reasonably high resolution monitor I can get about 12 seconds of "CW banner" running across my screen. I narrow the CW Skimmer window vertically to just a stripe that I can squeeze between the various N1MM logger windows, and if I miss something that has been sent to me I can quickly glance up and usually see what it was. It takes some mental retraining to add visual decoding to the reception process, but I read the dots and dashes as dits and dahs so that helps. My CW recognition isn't too bad on its own so I don't often have to use this technique, but like many I often confuse S with H or H with 5, and it is very quick to simply glance up and count dots for verification. It has saved me several times from having to ask for a repeat. I even wrote some AutoHotKey scripts to pause/unpause the CW Skimmer waterfall for those times when I knew I missed something but couldn't immediately glance up to check it.

c. You see how bad the clicks are on some hams' signals (assuming you aren't overdriving your sound card and producing them internally). They look as bad as they sound.

Whether any of that is worth the price of the program to you is another matter, but I found that it was for me.

73,
Dave   AB7E