From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Wes Stewart
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:35 AM
To: Elecraft Reflector; Jim Miller
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [K3} AGM Battery recommendation for K3

Jim,

I can tell you what I'm very successfully using.

I have a Deka 95AH AGM battery that is on continuous charge via a homebrew 25A
"smart charger".  I also have a boost regulator to keep the supply voltage up
to minimize TX IMD, even when the battery voltage is dropping during a power
outage.

The charger uses a modified Astron 35A supply to provide the raw DC and pass
transistors.  A slightly modified A&A Engineering card delivers the "smarts".
Contrary to what some in this forum will tell you, this combination will not
overcharge the battery, but will keep it fully charged even while transmitting
at 100W, even during an RTTY contest.

My battery sits on the floor under the operating desk.

Wes