From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Bill K9YEQ
Sent: Monday, December 24, 2012 5:26 PM
To: 'Ian Kahn - Ham'
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] New Output Power Issue

Ian,

I would suggest before suspecting anything in between the power supply,
check the voltage and the power supply terminals before tearing into
anything. You already know the transceiver shows load voltage under load.
If the voltage drops low at the supply then you have the culprit.  If not,
then go to the next connection and then measure it while transmitting. I had
a voltage drop that I didn't like with the supplied power supply cable and
replaced it with a 10 gauge high quality stranded cable.  I took out my
ASTRO Flight current/voltage wattage monitor which had lighter wiring,   I
ran my radio connection to my RigRunner and then measured.  Voltage and
output much improved.  You could start from the rear of the radio, work
toward the power supply, but you at least eliminate it.  I do see a
wiring/connector voltage drop at 20 amps draw from 13.5 volts through my
PowerGate battery backup to the RigRunner which shows a voltage on the Astro
Flight, which I use to monitor voltage coming off the rig runner itself, of
~12 v.  I get CW output at the K3 of 100 watts out as monitored by the W2.

It also wouldn't hurt to disconnect reconnect all the Andersons if that is
what you are using.  Corrosion potential exists for non-soldered connections
especially in humid conditions.

73,
Bill
K9YEQ