From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net [elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] on
behalf of Don Wilhelm [w3...@embarqmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2013 7:47 AM
To: Keith Heimbold
Cc: Elecraft Group
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [KX3] Solid state amps and KX3 negative ALC

Keith,

With the power output limited to 12 watts, there should be no need to
connect anything to the ALC on your amplifier.  That is just not
available on the KX3, nor is it available on any other QRP transceiver
that I know about.

Amplifiers historically provided ALC to throttle the power output from
the transmitter back when a given level of drive was received. That
worked fine in the old AM and CW days where non-linearity in the
transmit path could be tolerated, but with the advent of SSB where
linearity had to be maintained in the transmit path, this method became
a recipe to create distortion and splatter on the air.  Consider that
there is a finite time delay between detection of an overdrive condition
and that ALC signal back to the transmitter to reduce its power level.
In other words, the overdrive condition had to already be present before
the ALC could do anything about it.
There is one manufacturer who claims his ALC action is so fast that
there will be no distortion or splatter, but I have great doubts about
that - he would have to predict an overdrive situation before it
actually happened, and I am not sure how that would be accomplished.

Recently, some solid state amplifiers added a new twist.  They have
incorporated sensing circuits to indicate a fault condition such as a
high SWR condition, then the use the ALC line to reduce the transmitter
power to a safe level.  While that is a noble goal, I often wonder why
any amplifier with that complexity would want to depend on some external
driver to protect itself.  I guess cost is the answer, but depending on
something external to "do the right thing" always has puzzled me.  If
the amplifier has enough smarts to detect fault conditions and considers
those faults to be worthy of protecting the amp, then why do they not
include circuits to dump the drive power into a dummy load instead of
the amplifier input - and eliminate the requirement for ALC - the KPA500
goes to standby when it detects a fault and I do not understand why
other manufacturers do not do the same.

OK, that ends my occasional rant on ALC.
Happy New Year

73,
Don W3FPR