The comment about ARC protection breakers is very timely. A few days ago I
chatted with a building inspector and learnt about the new devices. However,
since my permit was issued over 2 years ago he said that the old
requirements apply. I also heard some negative comments about the new ARC
protector units. Consequently I purchased the older breakers, and my
electrician installed them yesterday, so too late for me. However the idea
that the newer breakers would be helpful in cases of long surges is
certainly interesting.

73, Erik K7TV

Kd4e wrote:

New construction requires ARC protection breakers everywhere in addition to
GFI breakers in wet spots.

The new ARC breakers are hyper-sensitive, so perhaps some of the risk of
damage may be reduced where they have been installed?