You will not be running digital modes with 12W on the KX3. It is rated for 5W
on digital modes. Some people prefer to run it it at 3W. I've seen photos of
one KX3 modified with a big heat sink and fan for higher power on digital modes.

For modes that require extreme frequency stability (e.g. JT65), you may be
better off with the K3. The KX3 does have an optional calibration procedure for
better temperature compensation, but the K3 is probably better out of the box
and has additional options for frequency stabilization.

wunder
K6WRU