Tony,

If your main concern is about the "knob and menu twiddling" folks at a multi-operator situation, consider the locking function for mic gain, compression and power that are available in the PWR SET menu. It will not prevent total disaster, but can help with the basic settings for those parameters.

Yes, you may still have to provide instruction for the Width/Shift or HiCut/LoCut knobs, and the likes of split operation, but the K3 can be operated with no guest operator problems just 'as-is'.

My K3 has been used as the CW station in the last 3 Field Day events, and no problems were found. In the middle of the night while the CW ops were asleep, a couple operators used it on SSB and discovered what a fabulous rig it was just using the default settings. I don't think I generated any orders for the K3 because most of the club members seem to think that a transceiver costing over $500 is an extravagance.

73,
Don W3FPR