Don Wilhelm wrote:

"If your main concern is about the "knob and menu twiddling" folks at a
multi-operator situation, consider the locking function for mic gain,
compression and power that are available in the PWR SET menu. It will not
prevent total disaster, but can help with the basic settings for those
parameters."

The main problem with what you suggest Don is that there are a couple of K3
owners that do show up for our FD, and while they are familiar with the
settings, they also know enough to "un-lock" my rig, and adjust it as they
are familiar, operate for a while and not re-lock it up.  The next operator
will sit down and start "twiddling".....  Two years in a row, when I got up
in the morning, my K3 was totally "locked up" (would not transmit,  most
buttons not responding) and turning power off and back on did not correct
the problem. Fortunately (and I recomend this to everyone here) I saved all
my parameters in the K3 utility, and just hooked my laptop up and
re-installed everything which only took a few moments and I was up and
running again.  That is a real plus of the Elecraft products.

The two main things I see ops do, is crank the power to the max (over 100
Watts) or crank the mic gain too high.  I always use the MON function in
SSB, and I try to set the level close to what I hear when just talking (how
you hear yourself).  Some ops don't like to use that or are freaked out by
the slight echo produced by the digital processing (wanting it turned
off).  So those are 3 things to make clear in a presentation for un
familiar ops.

There had been discussions here multiple times, and I don't want to start a
big long tirade on the same topic, but I really think it would be a good
idea that once the rig is "locked" that a 3 or 4 digit code would be needed
to un-lock.  That way, if a K3 owner wants my rig unlocked, I would know
about it, and be aware to re-lock it if the guest op doesn't do it.

73 de

--
John Fritze Jr
K2QY