To: "elecraft yahoo groups" <elecraft...@yahoogroups.com>
Cc: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2013 9:33 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [Elecraft_K3] Re: Elecraft Hats at Dayton?

Hi All,

I’ve never been particularly interested in paying for the “privilege” of advertising someone’s commercial product. It’s one thing to buy your shirt, hat, or whatever, with a club logo or name when it’s a non-commercial entity. However, there is something dissatisfying in functioning as a “billboard” and paying to do it. Yaesu, and some others, pass out stuff like this for free at Dayton. There’s a reason they do that. It gets their name out there—en masse—and they have obviously concluded that the expense is justified. Perhaps they view it more as “customer relations”, but I doubt it. There is “method to their madness”. Most of the time these items are purchased in bulk, and at very nominal cost.

Sports figures wear logo apparel but they don’t pay to do it—they get paid! And a bunch of those folks are people you’ve never heard of, or may never hear about! Not that we deserve to get paid, but I don’t think we should have to “contribute” to their advertising budget either. There is great value (apparently) in just getting your name out there, and you might be surprised how much some companies will pay just to influence a single potential customer.

What really gets me is when we are expected to pay “top dollar” for something with a company logo on it. Not only are they using us as a billboard, but they are also making a profit center for themselves out of the process. Crazy!

Yeah, I know, it is gratifying to many to have somebody’s logo on their hat, shirt, or whatever. If that really appeals to you then I have no argument against it. Besides, maybe you just need a hat or shirt, and this is a convenient way to get one. It just doesn’t appeal to me. Actually, every so often (but not very often) I see something like that which really looks “cool” and seems particularly attractive. But it’s usually not the logo, it’s the style or unique nature of it that is attractive.

I’m not much of a “fashion plate” when it comes to hats anyway. I usually wear a somewhat goofy looking terrycloth bucket hat, mainly because it is imminently more practical (I can wet it down if it’s hot—like on the golf course, and it shades my face better). I do have a rather cool looking baseball cap which has Begali’s logo on it. It’s good looking (I think), and unique. I greatly admire Begali products, so I’m happy to wear it and be a “billboard” for him. The clincher, though, is that Piero gave it to me, I didn’t have to buy it! I also greatly admire Elecraft products—I certainly have enough of them! However, I don’t feel inclined to pay to advertise for them. But, maybe they will come up with something that is so good looking I would be inclined to do so. That would be different!

Obviously there are many out there who won’t agree with what I have said. There seems to be something of a “frenzy” going on about having an Elecraft hat. Nevertheless, several have expressed disappointment that they weren’t free. So, I guess I might have at least a few folks who sympathize with my view.

Dave W7AQK