So don't buy one...pretty simple and doesn't waste a lot of bandwidth
proselytizing on the reflector.  Greg-N4CC

From: Dyarnes [mailto:w7...@cox.net]
Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2013 10:33 AM
To: elecraft yahoo groups
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft_K3] Re: [Elecraft] Elecraft Hats at Dayton?

Hi All,

I’ve never been particularly interested in paying for the “privilege” of
advertising someone’s commercial product.  It’s one thing to buy your shirt,
hat, or whatever, with a club logo or name when it’s a non-commercial entity.
However, there is something dissatisfying in functioning as a “billboard” and
paying to do it.  Yaesu, and some others, pass out stuff like this for free at
Dayton.  There’s a reason they do that.  It gets their name out there—en
masse—and they have obviously concluded that the expense is justified.  Perhaps
they view it more as “customer relations”, but I doubt it.  There is “method to
their madness”.  Most of the time these items are purchased in bulk, and at
very nominal cost.

Sports figures wear logo apparel but they don’t pay to do it—they get paid!
And a bunch of those folks are people you’ve never heard of, or may never hear
about!  Not that we deserve to get paid, but I don’t think we should have to
“contribute” to their advertising budget either.  There is great value
(apparently) in just getting your name out there, and you might be surprised
how much some companies will pay just to influence a single potential customer.

What really gets me is when we are expected to pay “top dollar” for something
with a company logo on it.  Not only are they using us as a billboard, but they
are also making a profit center for themselves out of the process.  Crazy!

Yeah, I know, it is gratifying to many to have somebody’s logo on their hat,
shirt, or whatever.  If that really appeals to you then I have no argument
against it.  Besides, maybe you just need a hat or shirt, and this is a
convenient way to get one.  It just doesn’t appeal to me.  Actually, every so
often (but not very often) I see something like that which really looks “cool”
and seems particularly attractive.  But it’s usually not the logo, it’s the
style or unique nature of it that is attractive.

I’m not much of a “fashion plate” when it comes to hats anyway.  I usually wear
a somewhat goofy looking terrycloth bucket hat, mainly because it is imminently
more practical (I can wet it down if it’s hot—like on the golf course, and it
shades my face better).  I do have a rather cool looking baseball cap which has
Begali’s logo on it.  It’s good looking (I think), and unique.  I greatly
admire Begali products, so I’m happy to wear it and be a “billboard” for him.
The clincher, though, is that Piero gave it to me, I didn’t have to buy it!  I
also greatly admire Elecraft products—I certainly have enough of them!
However, I don’t feel inclined to pay to advertise for them.  But, maybe they
will come up with something that is so good looking I would be inclined to do
so.  That would be different!

Obviously there are many out there who won’t agree with what I have said.
There seems to be something of a “frenzy” going on about having an Elecraft
hat.  Nevertheless, several have expressed disappointment that they weren’t
free.  So, I guess I might have at least a few folks who sympathize with my
view.

Dave W7AQK