Technically this was "figures shift" and "letters shift" and was not really upper/lower case. FIGS and LTRS may ring a bell.

Letters were the normal A...Z alphabet and figures were numbers 0...9 and punctuation, etc.

Or if you got into some of the weather machines, many of the normal punctuation marks were replaced by symbols for cloud percentage.

Jack K8ZOA